Rollis and BJ discuss abandonment several hot topics regarding nurses for the benefit of registered nurses, nurse leaders and HR professionals at facilities where nurses work.
Beth J. (“BJ”) Strickland is from Tennessee. She is an RN with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in nursing and a Master’s degree in history from Vanderbilt University. She is also a licensed attorney with her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Tennessee.
Experienced in clinical nursing, administration, and teaching in several clinical areas. She has practiced law in state and federal courts in Tennessee since 1996 with an interest in healthcare risk management, employment law, and medical malpractice. She retired from the U.S. Army in 2015 as a Lieutenant Colonel. Current faculty at Belmont University School of Nursing, Nashville, and Texas Tech University School of Nursing (online)
1) Abandonment update/discussion
2) Mandatory clocking out and who covers the patients?
3) Mandatory overtime
4) Hot issues:
* HIPAA & use of personal devices
* Opioids and a duty to report colleagues
* Hearings at the Board of Nursing This video is not legal advice, please seek an attorney if you have specific legal questions.